Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ruins of Detroit


I have a love-hate relationship with the Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre site that Zakk sent me. At first I thought, "great, another hipster photographer exposing the world to the aftermath of the industrial revolution and city riots". But, after reading the intro and browsing the pictures, I think he captured some effective images of Detroit.

I've been in Michigan Central Station, United Artists Theatre and St. Albertus School to experience the architecture and see the decay. When I look at these photographs I notice rotting books and turned over desks, but I also see classroom filled with generations of Detroiters looking to enhance their educations. I recognize churches once filled with families that found solitude and companionship when they arrived in the city. Being a realist, I don't expect these buildings to beam as they once did but I am hopeful for fresh start.

No comments:

Post a Comment